Friday, June 28, 2024

Maybe deep breathing makes concentration

Recently, I've been struggling to make progress on my tasks, feeling overwhelmed as they continue to pile up. However, I noticed that I was aimlessly scrolling through my social media feeds, indicating that I did have spare time. The realization hit me that social media was devouring this free time.

Recognizing this, I understood the importance of distancing myself from social media to effectively carry out my tasks.

Currently, I'm attempting to maintain a physical distance from my smartphone, minimizing my interaction with it as much as possible.

Moreover, when I'm focused, I'm not distracted by my phone. So, I'm trying a particular method to boost my concentration - deep breathing.

I've observed that people who smoke tobacco seem incredibly focused when they return from a smoke break. I surmise that this is not due to nicotine, but rather the result of unconsciously taking deep breaths. Evidence for this is that people who quit smoking using nicotine gum don't appear to be as focused. Essentially, smoking is just mindless deep breathing.

To give another example, in martial arts, there's a practice of meditation where you close your eyes and dedicate time solely to breathing, which enhances concentration.

Breathing proves to be effective here as well.

Drawing from these instances, it seems that intentional breathing has the potential to heighten concentration.

Therefore, in an effort to decrease the time I spend on social media, I try to take deep breaths every now and then.

Perhaps it's working. Or maybe it's just my imagination.

No comments: