Saturday, December 14, 2019

color measurement by canon eos 5d mark iv

A few months ago, I got a good camera, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.
Before that, I had used Kiss X7 which outputs raw data as CR2 for reading high-resolution color. I had read data of the format with DCRaw. DCRaw enabled a linear workflow which is necessary to measure accurate color and to analyze properties of reflectance and absorption of the target material.
However, Kiss X7 had a not good point. The results involved noise under dark environments and an uncontrollable filter run.
So, I changed the camera to get quality results. The new one, EOS 5D Mark IV, also outputs the same format name and its sensor is better than the old one.

After playing with the camera for a few days, suddenly I realized a small problem occurred. DCRaw could not eat CR2 of 5D Mark IV validly.

Soon, a solution was simply found.
The LibRaw project, fortunately, provided a new DCRaw emulator which processes CR2 of 5D Mark IV.

I tried it.
The picture style of the camera setting was "Faithful" without tuning.
I took a standard gray chart by x-rite.
The emulator command for the linear workflow was "dcraw_emu.exe -6 -w ***.CR2."
I confirmed that the reflectance points of the standard gray chart were perfectly linear. Good.
After that, I have been able to measure colors completely perfect.

No comments: